This post is not a review; it simply contains some opinions about the game. I’m not going to into specifics in introducing characters and gameplay mechanics. If you’re interested to know about them, the Deemo Wikia sufficiently explains all of those things.
Freedom Wars is a title I’d probably never purchase but because it was among the free titles in this month’s PlayStation Plus line up, I decided to give it a go. The game was slow to start but once I claimed a bunch of entitlement permits, things started feeling a lot more fun. Monster Hunter clone-type games are not something I’m very good at so I’m surprised I’ve gotten pretty far. And I did it without needing to request for co-operation from other live players from around the world. Go me! ^^;
As of now, I’ve put 89 hours into the game and I only just passed the CODE 7 exam yesterday. The reason for the lengthy play time isn’t due to my constant failing at missions — in fact, I hardly see the game over screen — but instead, continually replaying stages to grind for resources and Entitlement Points.
There were some hurdles along the way though like the Retribution during CODE 2. I became afraid to fight the Ramosa after that battle. ^^ However, after progressing a bit further into the game, I went back and started farming it for materials. :B
Another stumbling block was 5-3, but after two replays, I figured out what had to be done to survive it.
Finally, there was this:
That led to a lot of this:
I’ll post my strategies for 5-3 and the CODE 7 Exam for the heck of things. :3 Continue reading Freedom Wars – Lots of Musings
Note: Screenshots may appear somewhat blurry. They can be enlarged if clicked on.
I’ve been ignoring E3 news and pretty much only going by what I read on my Twitter feed. However, a quick Google search led me to this article where it states roughly 85 new titles will be released on the Vita by the end of the year.
Why did it take so goddamn long?
Played through Celceta twice — once on Normal and once on Nightmare. I gotta say that it’s a pretty fun game but there are some issues that I wish Falcom would fix (via downloadable update):
- Character AI — They can get super goofy at times and run around in circles. It’s easy to stop this by switching to control the character but still, it shouldn’t happen. This isn’t as offensive as the stupidity that’s been brought over from Ys SEVEN where the characters will ignoring enemies to continually try and get at a material they can’t reach at a harvest point. Again, a switch to the character will solve it but come on, why would they even do that in the first place?
- Bugs — There are times where player input will be impossible. I actually managed to reproduce an issue in the Silver Space (白銀の間) where all characters will become frozen (from being hit by a beam from a 3-faced monster) and all user interaction became nullified. The enemies will continue to attack but you can’t do anything like access the menu and the characters won’t unfreeze. There are also cases where the game will show you an outstanding treasure chest in a dungeon that doesn’t even exist as well as chests that don’t show up on the mini map (on a second playthrough onward) even though all the other ones in the vicinity do. >_>
- Inability to skip cutscenes on new game+ — It’s kind of annoying to have to sit through everything even with the fast-forward option on. I suppose there’s just too much extra code to include to give the option to skip scenes entirely. Or maybe Falcom’s just too damn lazy.
- Slowdown — It’s noticable in certain areas of the Forest of Dawn where there’s a lot of enemies. I think there’s a part in the Path of Plateau where it happens too even though there isn’t a bunch of enemies. I take it the background and stuff play a part in that one.
- More variety for the group configuration bonus. — Uh … forgot what it was called and too lazy to check the manual right now. ^^ (I already stored the game away.) But like, there were only 2 types, IIRC — one which had something about damage and another for increased frequency of obtaining rare items. I think the bonus should have been character based instead of weapon type.
- Like Ys SEVEN, the battle system made the game. Battles are fast and really fun! I can’t remember SEVEN too well but I’m pretty sure they honed the mechanics in this one.
- The dungeon designs are all right. Not all that crazy about them since there’s still a lot of “hand-holding” where everything you need to access another area just happens to be nearby and all. No real challenges or skill needed at any point. Honestly, even though I’m not all that great with platforming, I do like the designs from Napishtim, Felghana, and Origin a lot more than SEVEN and Celceta.
- I wasn’t all that crazy about the Personal Actions since if you ended up disliking a character and never using them, you’d be forced to swap him/her in just use his or her PA. Even so, I do kind of wish there was a dungeon that made you use every single Personal Action (except maybe Dulen’s since all he does is open chests). ^^
- Totally wasn’t crazy about the puzzles in the game because they felt kind of tacked on; like they existed only to make use of the Vita’s touch screen. There were also too far and few of them which makes me wonder why they were even included.
- Michey is … ugh. Such an ugly design. Stupid Falcom. Please don’t make that thing your official mascot.
- Part of the northern area of the Forest of Dawn sure could have used a waystone. All in all, they were located in convenient spots.
- I really liked the way side quests were handled where you can see where the quest giver is on the mini map as well as the location of targets were. Well, the latter is true for most of the monster elimination quests. I believe SEVEN had you running around towns and speaking to everyone unless you were using a walkthrough which would tell you who to specifically look for.
- Easy mode is hilarious. I think the G.Pikkard spawn rate is insane since it only takes a few screen refreshes for it to appear and you can easily kill it if you have beefed up characters and equipment from a previous playthrough. There also seems to be a lot more monster carcasses that remain on the screen + much MUCH easier to get rare drops with the Silver Axe equipped. When this game gets localized, I am so starting on Easy. XD (I only did a new game+ with it for Time Attack and Boss Rush. XD)
- Nightmare mode is a bit of a joke if you have maxed out characters and near maxed weapons + armour. ^^ I barely had to use potions in any battles even though I totally suck at flash guarding and executing flash moves. 😛 I just roll around like crazy. ^^;
If I think of anything else, I’ll add it later. :3
Edit on December 12th 2013: I decided to update the Shopkeeper for a Day info with the official English translations.
Good lord, I must have redid the 臨時店番の募集 (Hiring Temporary Help) a.k.a. Shopkeeper for a Day in the official English version side quest in Selray 3 times last night. I only discovered this when I reached Highland and completed the final quest needed for the merchant trophy; the game didn’t give it to me. >_>
The biggest problem was the second last customer since, being rather illiterate to Japanese, it made it difficult for me to understand which of the nuts I should be selling. All I was doing was matching text. But due to the fact that none of the other kanji matched any of the red text that Dulen repeated, I didn’t know I was supposed to just select the same type of nut that was supposed to get off-loaded onto customers at a discounted price. In short, I was looking for the phrase “値引き” (“discount”) which shows up as a response to the final customer, IIRC. (See the screenshot below.)
The circled text is randomly generated every time you reload/play this side quest. I believe it can be チトの実, ラパロの実, or アリエダの実.
Here are the replies you should provide to each customer (taken from http://ysc-psvita.game-cmr.com/data/quest/detail/8.html. Please take note that the list of items for getting all 6 replies correct is slightly wrong.). Edit on December 12, 2013: Updated with official English translations.
- Customer #1：木綿をすすめる (Bottom choice)/Recommend cotton
- Customer #2：まけられない (Top choice)/Refuse
- Customer #3：自腹を切って果実をオマケする (30G) (Top choice)/Buy a fruit for her (30G)
- No one around：大きな声で、元気よく客を呼び込む (Top choice)/Call out to try attracting more
- Customer #4：○○の果実を売る (This should match the type of seed that Ray mentions)*/sell whatever is in high supply/demand as mentioned by Ray
- Customer #5：○○の実を値引きして売る (Ditto)*/discount whatever Ray instructed to
* These types of nuts or fruits will be different for everyone as they’re randomized upon loading the game so I hope you paid attention. ^^
If you get all the answers right, you should be rewarded with the 特上 (known as Extra Large) set:
Random, unrelated thoughts:
For this playthrough, I opted to do Selray first and then Comodo. One thing I noticed was this:
And I also noticed Pigeon and Rabbit appearing too. I can’t recall if they showed up in this area during my first playthrough where I went to Comodo first.
- Nightmare’s been a breeze so far thanks to me maxing out Adol and Dulen and majorly reinforcing their equipment (as well as Carna’s) from the previous playthrough. The only issue is that boss battles and some of the larger monsters still take a while. The only boss that gave me problems so far is the one in the Tower of Divine Guidance. The second battle is fairly easy but the first one is terrible for me since I can’t dodge or flash guard in time. 😛
Oh yeah, guarding in Nightmare is quite horrible since your still get a chunk of HP lopped off. Of course, it’s not as bad as not guarding at all but still. ^^
- Finalllllllllllllly. I got it~~!
- .Check out the time. XD
Oh dear lord. My first playthrough clocked in at 75 hours. What the hell did I do? I know I didn’t really grind at all and if I did, it was only for materials and there’s no way I put in so many hours for grinding.
Just some quick updates~!
I embarked on my Nightmare run recently. With maxed out Adol and Dulen + massively upgraded ultimate weapons and armour, the trek across Celceta has been fairly quick. The only problem are the bosses. ^^ The first boss took about 10 minutes to defeat. 😛 It took me a bit to clue in that I was supposed to get its stun gauge up. Once I started spamming skills instead of simply slashing its body, the battle went a bit faster.
I also reloaded the Clear Game data on Easy to get the Time Attack and Boss Rush trophies. XD Here’s a small gallery of images of my achievements~! :3 Tiny Farm images are mixed in since I have no idea how to exclude them. >_>
The Halloween promotion is in full swing now~! And again, there’s some cross-breeding weirdness! The special animals this time around will complete the Halloween Level 2 Collection.
Like the Pirate Animals, the option to cross-breed will probably not be available after the promotion is done. 😦
Been seeing people complaining that they weren’t getting the cross-breeding option. Maybe some people haven’t updated their game yet? I still haven’t managed to get either of the level 2 Halloween animals. Hopefully, I will soon… And then somehow get the skeleton pig from an egg or candy~~ I really want the ghost sheep. 😦 And I really wish it could stay as a baby cuz the baby and young sheep are much more adorable than adult sheep. ^^
Update on Oct 29th: I got my Dracula Cow! It only took a billion tries!!!
For what it’s worth, my Black Cow was at Level 32 and the Dairy Cow was Level 17. Next up will be the Zombie Alpaca.
My Alpaca is Level 100 and the Red Reindeer is Level 12. I haven’t gotten the Zombie Alpaca yet and I’m hoping it’ll take less tries because I need a total of 12 Love Points for each breeding session. >_>
But … I’ll still be out with that skeleton pig from the Level 1 collection. Guess I’ll keep trying with the candy or something. I doubt I’ll be able to make use of the Eggs during these last few days of the promo since I’m saving up to get the ghost lamp thing. ^^
2nd update on Oct 29th: I got my Zombie Alpaca today! ^o^~
Sadly, I bred the parents again but it didn’t work. 😦 Only regular reindeer and alpaca kept popping out. I do want another zombie though!
There’s more objectives after the breeding’s done~!
And then …
Sigh. Still out on one animal. 😦 At least the Valentine one will be easier since I have all 3 Level 1 animals. (Come on, you KNOW they’ll do a Valentine promo again.)
Edit on November 1st:
- Halloween Prank 3 was to give affection to any three Zombie Horses you find among your neighbours. I was busy yesterday so I didn’t get around to uploading the image. Actually, there probably isn’t any point since I can just type out the descriptions. 😛
- Halloween Prank 4: “Give love to the Dracula Dairy Cow in neighbor farm 3 times.” Like the other ones, you just need to find the animal in 3 different farms.
- Halloween Prank 5: “Give love to the Zombie Alpaca in neighbor farm 3 times.” Same tip as the last one.
The rewards for all of these are 1 Halloween Candy, 1 Bell, and 30 XP.
Edit on November 2nd:
- The Last Halloween Prank:“There is an animal that can’t wait for Halloween because it loves candy. Shall we find this animal and ask if it received lots of candies in Halloween? Hint: This animal’s dialogue”. Oddly, the description ends there. 😛 But the objective is “Give love to the ‘animal that like candy’ in neighbor farm once.’ I swear, I think they have people from Com2uS Korea doing the translations. Anyway, reward is EXP +30 and Bells +3. The animal you’re looking for is:
Its level doesn’t matter. I just took a screencap of it from my collection. :3
Edit on November 6th: I asked Com2uS on Twitter yesterday if the Skeleton Pig could be bred at any time of the year or just during the Halloween promo and it’s only during the promo. :(( At the time of the reply, there was just over 2 days left. But!!!! Look what happened!!!!!!!
And then …
Now I can go back to giving Love Points to other animals instead of them Talking Pigs. Truthfully, I was going back and forth between 2 Talking Pigs and 1 Talking Pig x a Brown or Black Pig since I read that you can get a Skeleton Pig with the latter method too.
Whee~! Ghost Sheep~~~ Of course, I got the Ghost Deer as well but it’s not cute enough for me to care about!